Wii SD functionality
Well I downloaded Super Castlevania IV and Toejam & Earl onto the Wii. Great games but I have realized some unfortunate things about the Wii & SD slot. I was under the impression that a firmware upgrade would allow me to save my VC games to my SD card but I can’t do so even with my (currently) fully upgraded Wii.
I made an early assumption that you could use the SD card as a possible extra drive for games or whatnot. You know, a backup Wii drive. Well I will tell you what it can and cannot do from my fiddling with it. (At least this is true on my Wii).
1. You can move Wii game memory from the Wii to the SD slot (but not all Wii game memory). Elebits does not allow transfering of save files from the Wii to the SD card.
2. You can view photos via the SD card (in case you had no other way of displaying it).
3. You can’t save directly to the SD cards (at least my games have not given me the option anywhere). You have to move the memory from the Wii to the SD card (if the game memory allows moving). It’s basically a memory storage device to bring your game saves to a friends house. (don’t ask me if you can actually transfer your saves to a different Wii).
4. You can’t save downloaded VC games to the SD card. Bummer.
5. You can’t transfer Game Cube memory to the Wii or the SD Slot. I was hoping to alleviate some memory pressure from my Game Cube mem cards but I could not do so with my Wii. Curses!. So if you are running low on the GC memory, you’ll have to delete some or get a new memory card for GC games.
As of now I see the SD option as pretty much a useless addition to the Wii. I’m sure they’ll make more use of it in the future. Until then I would suggest that you wait to get an SD card.
*Update* – 03/25/09
Well it was a long time coming but finally we all can run our VC games and channels directly from SD cards. Woo Hoo!
On top of that, the Wii can now recognize up to a 32GB SD card. Boy is this gonna be helpful. Take yer time Nintendo… take yer time.